Friday, January 11, 2008

She's Really Ours!

I had just picked up our mail from my work place across the street. As I shuffled through the small stack of envelopes, I noticed a lavendar card-like parcel from my mom in Kansas. With Abby's birthday only a day away, I had already surmised, in that milisecond that it takes to deduce certain anticipated circumstances, that this was for her. then something strange happened. I read the name, Abigail Epp. Something about that visual association created an almost supernatural awakening within me: "She's really part of our family!"

After all months of "temporary care giving", a bridge has been made into the realm of permanent placement, a domain that wasn't even on our maps or charts when Abby was initially placed with us. But now, my emotional and paternal phsyce had received a jolt that somehow seemed to breath life into months of hopeful waiting and guarded anticipation. With the adotion a matter of mere formalities now, we are moving from a two year state of tentativeness to a place of settledness regarding Abby's familial future.

"...You won't let them down: orphans won't be orphans forever." --Psalm 10:14 (MSG)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris and Katie!
Congratulations on your official adoption of Abby! I'm so so excited for you and celebrating with you! I'm a little behind on the news, but you know how email piles up. Much love to you guys! Give all the kiddos a hug for me!

Love
HEidi

Chris, Katie and the Epplings said...

Hey Heidi! Speaking of behind, I'm jsut now realizing that you commented on this post!

Actually, this hearing was a termination hearing, dealing iwth the parent's rights in Abby's life. They have been out of the picture now since that hearing.

The news now is that her Adoption hearing has been scheduled for Tueasday, March 4th. This is the last hoop, and makes her legally ours.

I hear from Doreen that you are doing well, and that your relationship is moving ahead very seriously. Yes?

We also hear that Ross is engaged--wow!

What do you hear of your sisters? How are they doing?

And lastly, a friend of mine--Amber Good--is there at IHOP. have you run into her? She has had interest in a Harrisburg House of Prayer, and those conversations are up and running again. Let me know if you have any pointers, eh!

Love ya Heidi! Peace out!

Chris