Thursday, January 8, 2009

Are You in Time Out Again?!

Whoever said that discipline is work wasn't kidding. With four kids in the house last week, between the ages of 2 and 5, timeouts were a regular occurance, sometimes two at a time! Seemed like all we lived for in six or seven days' time was time out. We wonder, "Is all this really going to pay off some day?"

And then I remember the words of my sister back when Lydia was a tot, "I admire your consistency as parents." Consistency? Huh. We hadn't thought of it as that before, but what an encouragement that word has been to us! (Thanks, Vic!)

I realize, too, that discipline in my life, as a disciple of Jesus, is difficult work. And just as I am committed to my children through consistency, how much more is my Lord. True, "no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness for those who have been trained by it."

So, all you disciples out there, stand firm. Parents, be encouraged, whether parenting your own children or doing the work of discipleship in the Body.

By the way, the two siblings that were with us in foster care--"Daniel" and "Maggie"--were placed with a new faster family following their hearing Monday. thanks for all who have been p[raying with us through this brief yet strenuous season.

No comments: